Pregnancy Massage & Bodywork
Throughout time, nurturing touch in the form of massage and bodywork have been used in most cultures to ease women through the demands of childbirth, labour and the post-natal period. They are safe and natural ways to significantly improve your wellbeing and confidence as a pregnant and birthing mother.
Women who follow their bodily instincts with trust and surrender are often more able to meet the challenges of birthing their babies. A deeply nurturing and holistic style of massage or bodywork can meet a range of needs in pregnant women, and the power of touch is not to be under-estimated!
My offerings include:
- Pregnancy massage tailored to your highly specific needs throughout pregnancy
- Pelvic balancing which may include partner-facilitated stretches (Spinning Babies & Birthwork techniques) and internal bodywork
- Pelvic awareness training which may include muscle isolation, pelvic floor relaxation, directed breathing, perineal massage, and exploring your dynamic anatomy for birth
- Birth rehearsal with trauma-informed internal bodywork
- Birth readiness massage – sensual and nurturing bodywork to turn up your oxytocin dial in the weeks leading up to birth
- Induction massage – similar to birth readiness massage but including specific stimulation of acupressure points for natural labour induction
Among the many benefits of massage and bodywork are:
- Encouraging you to become more present in your body as you approach birth
- Reducing tension in your body tissues to help you soften and open for birth
- Balancing of your pelvic muscles and ligaments to promote optimal position of baby for birth
- Soothing your nervous system and promoting deep relaxation, surrender and trust in your body
- Enhancing blood and lymphatic circulation to maximise nutrient delivery and elimination of toxins
- Supporting healthy development of your baby
- Decreasing muscle, ligament and joint pain, tension and cramping
- Reducing nausea, swelling and headaches, and normalising blood pressure
- Promoting deeper breathing
- Improving sleep and general wellbeing
- Increasing flexibility of muscles for birthing
- Increasing pelvic awareness and opening for vaginal birth
- Facilitating optimal recovery after baby’s birth
- Promoting good milk supply and breastfeeding
In an holistic setting, massage and bodywork are often combined with other anchors such as pregnancy-safe essential oils, soothing music and energy healing to maximise relaxation effects.
It is highly recommended that massage and bodywork are offered by qualified therapists with a clear understanding of the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy and birth to ensure best practice for your specific needs in each trimester. This would include a detailed history of your pregnancy in an initial consultation and a review of any changes in subsequent sessions as your body adapts to your growing baby.
If you would like more information, you can contact me for a free 20-minute discovery session to explore your options.